Friday, June 05, 2009

One Week On

It's now been a week since I got my new hip and soon there will be no stopping me. I find if I'm made to walk slowly then I use my bad leg more, when I speed up it's easier to hop. But all in all I think I'm doing pretty well. 5 more weeks to go till I can have a bit of exercise but I must admit that being waited on hand and foot is not a bad alternative.

In another week or so I can have my stitches out but I don't really notice they are there to be honest. They are healing quite well and look better since I removed my dressing and let the air get to them. Once they are out, we have to decide about the underwater treadmill that the vet has recommended. We used to go swimming 3 times a week to help build up the muscle but I quickly learned how to only use my front legs to swim. I think that's why they are suggesting a water treadmill. Well we will see what happens there.

Buca's sister Kiri came to visit me today and we had a gentle stroll around the garden. I like that better than having my leg exercised for me, it was good to get some fresh air and just sit in the garden catching those scents as they drifted past me. Mr & Mrs Swan are still here so we said hello to them too. I don't think they will be laying any eggs this year as it's quite late now but it's still nice to have them around.
As you can see from today's picture, I have been spending a bit more time on my luxury bed which is in the pen. It is soo comfy that I didn't really mind being in there and it was easy peasy to get out because she left me a little gap to nudge open.
I've also been perfecting my Hudson Shuffle, quite a useful strategy for moving in on a plate of food without anyone noticing. Any other spinone want to try it out, sit a reasonable distance from your target and then inch your front legs forward very casually. Shuffle your bottom forward so that it looks like you are just getting comfortable to the unsuspecting owner of the said food. Then repeat as often as necessary to get within striking distance. If you are clever, you can get close enough to "hoover" the food off the plate and into your mouth. Magic!
My mum says I should have been called Dyson not Hudson.

1 comment:

The 'splorin' Wolfies said...

you look fantastic in your picture! what a face! i agree that the stiches will do better left to air out--sounds like you are making fatastic head way! well done!